October 7, 2022
Gananda Community Members,
I am reaching out to you to share the programs we work with to support our Gananda Families in need. Below is a list of the programs with information on how you can support each one.
Backpack Program - At the end of each week, students in need receive a “backpack” to take home to ensure they have food for the weekend. Items in the backpack require little to no preparation and no refrigeration. Examples are fruit cups, granola bars, juice boxes, microwavable mac & cheese, cans of pasta, etc. In the past, funds to support this program have come from grants and an employee payroll deduction program. Last year the program served 79 students at a cost of $3 per child, per weekend. At this time, the Backpack Program will run out of food by the end of this month without more support.
We anticipate that the program will continue to grow and we expect to serve 100 students at a cost of $4 per child, per weekend (40 weekends). The anticipated cost of the program is $16,000 for the year. At this time, we only have $3,000 promised for support of this program this year. How can you help?
- If you are an employee we are asking that you consider donating through the payroll deduction program with this form.
- If you are a parent or community member we are asking for donations of food or money.
- Here is a list of upcoming events and the items we would like to collect at those events to fill the backpacks:
Donation Events for Backpack Program:
- Friday, October 7: JV and Varsity Volleyball and Varsity Soccer Games - Breakfast bars (example Nutrigrain bars)
- Saturday, October 8: Cheerleading Competition - Boxes of Mac & Cheese
- Thursday, October 13: JV Boys Soccer Game - Fruit Cups (apple sauce, peaches)
- Friday, October 14: JV and Varsity Girls Soccer Games - Fruit Cups (apple sauce, peaches)
- Sunday, October 16: Youth Football Games - Boxes of Spaghetti/Pasta
- Monday, October 17: JV and Varsity Volleyball Games - Fruit Cups (apple sauce, peaches)
- Wednesday, October 19th: Modified, JV, and Varsity Volleyball Games - Mini Cereal Boxes
- November 18 & 19: MS Musical - Canned Pasta (examples, Chef Boyardee, SpaghettiOs)
- December 8: Grades 4-6 Concert - Donation need TBD
- December 15: grades 7-12 Instrumental Concert - Donation need TBD
- December 20: grades 7-12 vocal concert - Donation need TBD
- If you would prefer to make a monetary donation, please make checks payable to Gananda Central School District, with Backpack Program on the memo line. Donations are tax deductible.
Project Serve - Cross Creek Church has provided Thanksgiving meals to families in our district for many years. We have partnered with them since 2017 to help make the holidays brighter for local families in need. We have helped them collect donations, provided hands to help put dinners together, and helped them deliver the meals. This program will continue to support our families and we will continue to support this program. Last year the district collected $644 towards their effort. How can you help? We will be reaching out to you in the near future with opportunities to donate and volunteer. Please consider joining us in support of this program to help our local families in need.
Macedon Community Christmas Program - This program has provided meals and gifts to families in Gananda, Macedon and Walworth for many years; last year they helped 150 families. We have partnered with them since 2017 and we will continue to do so this year. Last year the district assisted in collecting gift cards from Wegmans, Tops, WalMart and Target. These cards were used to buy gifts and food for our local families in need. How can you help? We will be collecting gift cards from Wegmans, Tops, WalMart and Target once again. Additionally, checks will be accepted in lieu of gift cards. Checks can be made out to the Macedon Food Pantry with "Christmas Program" noted in the memo section. Heather Keenan is the main contact for this program if groups or individuals would like to sponsor a child or family. The Angel Tree is not yet ready, however, please contact Heather Keenan at [email protected] for more information.
As we approach the holiday season we wanted to make you aware of the programs we will be supporting, and begin to share how you too can help support those programs. Again, more updates and service opportunities will be shared with you as the season progresses.
Thank you for your continuing support of our community, families, and students.
Shawn Van Scoy, Ed.D
Superintendent, Gananda Schools